Sunday 14 July 2013

Hello Starbucks!!

I heard whispers while asleep last night and opened my eyes just a wee bit. There they were, both my feet; conspiring to kill me. One of them, I think it was the left one, was very vocal, at times agitated and determined, while the right foot was more for being discreet and you know 'wanting to make it look like an accident'.

Of course I was terrified, yet I didn't move a muscle, pretending to be fast asleep. I could understand their anger though; the wife had dragged me along to the monsoon sale at Ambience Mall, Vasant Kunj. We walked from one store to another, and another and yet another, well she was doing the walking, I the man was doing the trudging. Yes the sort that you see in old war documentaries when soldiers are returning from a long and bitter campaign.

I trudged and my feet grumbled. All the time, sending me messages through my crying calves that either I sit down or they'll go on strike and leave me stranded having to be carried out on a stretcher.

My nose saved the day, it caught the smell of freshly brewed coffee and led my feet and portly frame to the new Starbucks store. Man, was it crowded, the wife entrusted me with the task of finding a place to sit while she stood in line for our order.

It's quite a nice store, though very crowded and not just because of the loads of people that were there. It was the seating, some chairs and small tables, a long tall table with high chairs, for a more communal coffee experience. And then , there was a big bloody dining table in the center of the store. Now tell me, who orders their furniture and who paid the designer?

Just walking in and out of the mess was a big challenge, as it is I am five feet something and navigating my way in the store was about squeezing my frame between other patrons without having my oysters crushed.

Our frappucino was good, not my usual cold coffee with blended ice cream, but a milk slush flavored with a lovely aromatic roast. The chicken reshmi roll, was nice, spiced cilantro flavors with chunks of a curried chicken in a roll. The lattice chicken thingy was not quite there, the puff pastry lattice was good but the filling was too tomatoey and sweet, I would have added a little basil and oregano to it. 

Their choco chip muffin was passable, Costa makes it better and they use choco chunks instead of chips. We also tried the iced teas, the green tea one and the hibiscus or whatever, that was good.

Overall a nice experience, the coffee was flavorful, the snacks were reasonably good and priced lower than Costa, the desserts are more expensive comparitively, the team however is way better than at Costa, more friendly and communicative.

We must have sat at Starbucks for close to an hour and our table had a nice view of the BMW display on the ground floor. My feet made peace with me for a while, though hostilities broke out as soon as I got up to leave.

Welcome to India, Starbucks!!

No comments:

Post a Comment