Monday 30 April 2012

Really Old Delhi Railway Station




Last week we had to catch a train to Haridwar from Old Delhi Railway station. It was amazing, I couldn't believe my eyes, the place was as filthy or perhaps worse than say 20-30 years ago when I last travelled out of there. It was like the place was frozen in time, the only reminder that I was awake was the stench of urine and  rubbish in the air.

Would you belive, platform no. 13 has more potholes than our average Gurgaon road, I don't know but was this place rennovated during the Commonwealth games. The approach road to the station was equally bad. But let me not be unfair, there was a symbol of modernity, there was a golf cart on the platform to ferry those who needed help.

Here's a photograph of one of the soft drinks stall at the station, couldn't get you more photos as it was dark and this is the clearest one that I got.


The Ahemdabad Haridwar train, however did arrive on time which is a definite sign of progress. Some of the fault lies with us citizens too, littering the platforms, not using the train washrooms properly and the paan stains al over the place.

But tell me this, there must be a budget for rennovation and cleaning the platform, so where did it go. Will mysteries never cease.

No comments:

Post a Comment